Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Shipmate!

I had some very bad news at 0630 on the morning of Saturday, 16 August 2008. One my Sailors, HM2(AW) Athan Scott Allen had died while on a command detachment to Fairbanks, Alaska.

I have known Athan since 2003 when I met him at my last command. He was our command's Hospital Corpsman and a great "Doc" he was. When I heard in 2006 that he was going to the same squadron that I would be going to (where I'm stationed now) I was very excited. He was a great Sailor, Corpsman and friend to everyone.

I told my Commanding Officer that I wanted to be the Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO) (the military that walk to the front door and notify the PNOK/SNOK). That was by the far the hardest thing I've had to do. But I felt it my duty because I was close to him and I am his Leading Chief Petty Officer.

So I've been helping his wife get through this time and assisting her with all the appropriate arrangements. We are no where near coming to conclusion, it will probably be a good 6 months before I have all her benefits 100% completed, but I'm with her until it's completed.

It's been my honor to know Athan Allen and help his wife and daughter through this time.

I ask that all my readers say a prayer for Athan's wife, daughter, mom & dad and family and friends as they go through the grieving process.

The United States Navy has lost a true patriot!

Thank you Athan for touching the lives of those you came in contact with. You will truly be missed. Good bye Athan, you were loved.

6 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear of the death of your friend. It was nice of you to be the one to break the news. I expect it's better to hear something like that from someone you know and can get immediate support from.

May God be with you and his family.

Tumbleweed Dee said...

From a military background, we know the "hoops" you need to go through. We will remember your family along with your friends family in our daily prayers. Thank you for letting us know.
Dee & Jim

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

From another Navy Mom, thank you for your service and for helping this family through their tragedy. Your blog says it all.
Terry
Proud Navy Mom of Ben

Mark and Dortha said...

We are so sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you, your family and your friends family.

We know that God will provide the strength you need to get through this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the support you offered Cathy. We appreciate all that you did for our family.

-- Lisa, Athan's 1st cousin.