Monday, June 1, 2009

Frocked!!

It happended - today at 1615 I was "frocked" to Senior Chief. In the USN once we have received confirmation from USN HR that promotion has been approved, the Commanding Officer is allowed to "frock" those personnel. Frocking means to "wear" the rank, but you're not getting paid for it. Basically, you are referred to as the frocked paygrade, you get the "prestige" and "benefits" that come with that paygrade, but you just don't get paid for it. I will probably be promoted on 16 Oct and start receiving pay that date. I will know in a month or so when I should see the actual advancement date.

So in the USN, frocking is a very big deal. Maria and my Command Master Chief did the honors of taking off my "Chief" anchors and pinning on my "Senior Chief" anchors. Most of the Chief's Mess was there along with my CO, Dept. Head, and almost all of my Yeoman. It was a great ceremony.

Maria and I are still pondering our decision to stay Navy or retire next year. We sure are leaning toward staying. While my retirement pay would be substainally larger if I stayed for another five years, I would have to go back to sea duty and probably be required to do a tour in Afghanistan or Iraq. So as I've said before....more to follow.

Stay safe, and chat later -

Steve

1 comment:

Mike Goad said...

Congrats on the promotion!

I left the Navy after almost 9 years in. I knew I had passed the MMC test, but didn't wait around to find when I'd be selected. I had no desire to return to sea and have to spend time away from my little girls. So I got a civilian job instead and ended up telling sea stories with a bunch of other ex-navy guys. In the group I worked in, only a couple guys were not ex-navy and one of the guys was a fellow I had meet over in Holy Loch, Scotland, when he got stranded on our boat as it was being moved into drydock.

There were a lot of things about the Navy that I loved. Staying home with family trumped all that.

Mike Goad in Askansas
Just back from 4 week trip to the atlantic coast and back
Haw Creek Out 'n About