Saturday, May 16, 2009

Back to "normal"

Since my last post, I have been quite busy ensuring plans for the Memorial Service and a retirement ceremony.

First the Memorial Service: As you recall in my last post, two of my Sailors had passed. One family requested we did not have a command memorial service (they didn't want to travel back to CA and relive it); while the other had told me they would like to have one. So my marching orders were given.

To set up a U.S. Navy Memorial Service with full military honors is no small task. We got it all planned and executed without any flaws or "glitches". My Yeoman performed the full military honors again, as they did at the funeral, and it was again a grand and precision accurate ceremony.

The following day was a "full dress" retirement ceremony for one of my Sailors. He is retiring after 20 years and I was his MC (Master of Ceremonies). He had every honor that he could have; parading of colors, flag folding ceremony, flag passing ceremony, the Navy Wife poem, and "The Watch" poem w/bells. It was a great ceremony - and again, another one with accurate precision and no "glitches".

I'm very proud of all my Sailors that were in all three ceremonies over the last week - these are all ceremonies they will remember and cherish.

Also, over the last week, I completed 2 of my 4 classes. I received one "final grade" for one class; but, the other I'm waiting for my 13-page research paper to be graded, then I'll get my final grade.

So here is to waiting.....

The other 2 classes will be completed this next Friday. I have 2 finals to take; one on Thursday and the other on Friday. Then no school until 1 June!!!

Which brings me to our FUN plans. Maria and I are taking our motorhome out for the first time since Thanksgiving 2008! We have plans to go to Morro Bay, CA. I'm sure it will be great weather, and a much needed - BREAK! For both of us.

Everyone be safe.

Chat later -
Steve

3 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Have fun you guys. You sure deserve it!

Tumbleweed Dee said...

Have a great time! Relax and know it won't be long you'll be camping full time in Alaska. See ya in chat when you have the time.

Natasha said...

Enjoy your trip. Have lots of fun!
Natasha