Thursday, May 15, 2008

Welcome Home Shane!

My brother just returned from his tour of duty in Iraq. He is a Gunnery Sergeant in the USMC and that was his 2nd tour in Iraq since this war started.

Both times he has brought home every Marine he left with! Thank God for his leadership, every Marine is a better Marine for serving with Shane.

I don't have any pics of him, but he's going with us next weekend to Travis and I'll get some then.

Speaking of that---we're going to Travis for the Memorial Weekend Holiday. My Mother is going with us and staying in our MH with Maria and I, the boys are each bringing a friend (or two) and they will be staying in tents about 30 feet from our MH site in the FAMCAMP.

Travis has a great FAMCAMP and it is just across the street from the back of the PX and Teen Center. The reason we go there is because they have a HUGE paintball park, called Extreme Paintball. It is condemned military housing (about 10 square blocks) and they have an EXTREME time with the paintball. They are not allowed to go into the housing, but go around it, hide in some dug in cement cylinders...you get the drift. I'll take some pictures and post those when we return. I think they have WI-FI, if they do I'll upload while I'm there.

For our RV-dreams friend, Dee; don't worry, I'll take a picture of the front gate and upload that as well.

So tomorrow is my International Business class final, and I'll have lots of free time after work next week to prepare the MH for our underway time of 0700 on Friday, 23 May. Maria won't be with me to do her normal "getting underway" checklist, but my Mom is going with me so she'll have to get her PQS (Navy talk) signed off very quickly.

Maria is coming later on Friday with the boys and their friends when they get out of school. So I'll get up there about noon and she'll get there about 1900. I'll have dinner ready when they arrive and also have the tents/sleeping bags ready to go so we can just relax and enjoy the evening.

We're taking our German Sheperd, Buck for protection. He'll likely be more of a pain, but he'll have a good time in the open ball parks and many trails that Travis has on base.

5 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

Have a great weekend, Steve! It's nice that you're taking your Mom along. Sounds like it will be a blast for the boys and their friends.

If you get a chance and they have wifi drop into chat!

Tumbleweed Dee said...

I can't wait to hear all about the trip to Travis. Take pictures of anything that you can, the front gate and the fampcamp. We'll be there I'm sure, once we're on the road. Please come in chat once in awhile to say hi, we miss you.
Dee

Anonymous said...

Chief,

I didn't know you were such a cool guy until I found out about your blogs. The word is out. Chief is cool. I won't tell. I read a comment about the Administrative Department being the backbone of an organization and I didn't believe that was true for a while, until I joined the club. Proud to be in the 'in crowd', Thanks for all that you taught me in the short time you were my YNC.

R/
YN for life!

Anonymous said...

Was Shane a Drill Instructor at Parris Island in 1998? Kind of thin? If so, I was one of his recruits.

-John from Queens, NY

Anonymous said...

Yes, he was a DI in 1998 at Parris Island.